Argentum nitricum (Arg-n.)
Argentum nitricum (Arg-n.) is a remedy when emotional and gastrointestinal (digestive) symptoms dominate. The person is prone to flatulence (gassiness) with loud explosive belches or noisy diarrhea. They are nervous, anxious and susceptible to strange thoughts which aren’t acted on, e.g. jumping from a height, throwing things at people, dropping a baby that’s being carried. Fears and anxieties may involve crowds, being alone, anticipation, running late, heights, fainting, or undertaking new things. They’re empathetic people but impulsive, suggestible, volatile, and weep or laugh easily. Those needing Arg-n overheat easily, feel worse in warm rooms, and after eating sweet things (which they may crave). They’re better for cool or open air, or washing with cool water. Pains may feel pressing or splinter-like.
This remedy is used for all types of fear and anxiety brought on by an over-active imagination. Stage fright claustrophobia and anxiety in the face of unexpected situations are all helped by Argent.nit. Often these fears and phobias are accompanied by a superstition that something awful is about to happen, for example being crushed by a tall building.
Sometimes there is also a sense of great difficulty in resisting reckless behavior and dangerous impulses, such as jumping from a high window. Anxiety induced sweats or palpitations are also helped by Argent.nit.
This remedy is given for digestive complaints, for example, diarrhea, flatulence and vomiting, and pulsating headaches with a slow inset which are caused by eating too many sweet foods or nervous excitement.
Argen.nit. is also effective for pain that is better for pressure and fresh air but worse for movement or talking, asthma, colicky pain during weaning, warts, laryngitis with splinter-like pain and hoarseness, sore throats epilepsy, and dizziness.
In women, this remedy is given for a bearing down sensation in the uterus due to prolapse or menstruation. It is also good for inflammation of the mucous membranes, especially in the eyes and it used for conjunctivitis.
- Nervous, impulsive, and hurried.
- Strange, frightening, or foolish thoughts, e.g. jump from a height; throw things at people; drop their baby.
- Sympathetic but suggestible.
- Heights, claustrophobia, bridges, being late.
- Numerous anxieties, fears, and phobias, e.g. crowds, being alone, stage fright, running late, heights, undertaking new things, fainting.
- Anxieties, fears and phobia
- Ailments accompanied by a craving for sweet foods.
Gastrointestinal (Digestive) Problems
- Craves salt, sweets, or salt and sweet combined.
- May also dislike sweets, or sweets cause symptoms and health problems.
- Distended abdomen.
- Diarrhea from anticipation and anxiety.
- Flatulent (gassy) with loud, explosive belching or noisy diarrhea
- Digestive complaints brought on by nervous excitement or from eating too much sweet food.
- Headaches feel better for pressure or tight bandaging.
- Splinter like pain during sore throat.
- Hoarseness, especially in public speakers or singers.
- Intense palpitations – as if the heart could jump out of the chest.
- Impotence worsened by thinking about it.
- Conjunctivitis relieved by cold applications.
While the above self-limiting, acute complaints are suitable for home treatment with Arg-n, see your healthcare provider if your symptoms worsen or fail to improve. Arg-n is also useful for a range of chronic or persistent complaints not listed; these are best managed by a qualified homeopath for good results.
Dosage Instructions (suitable for babies to adults)
Take 3 pellets of the remedy every 30 minutes to 4 hours (30 minutes for intense symptoms, 4 hours for milder ones). Once an improvement is noticed, stop dosing and repeat the remedy only if symptoms return. If there is no improvement at all by three doses, choose a different remedy or seek professional guidance.